CASE ALERT: Paragard IUD Lawsuits
Our team of attorneys is currently investigating claims that Paragard T 380A intrauterine device (IUD) is associated with injuries as a result of the Paragard IUD breaking during removal or before removal. This copper IUD can break while inside the body and leave plastic and metal behind even after the device is removed.
What Do We Know About Paragard?
Paragard is an IUD involving a plastic frame wrapped with copper wire coils that is placed in the uterus for long-acting birth control. The implant can prevent pregnancy for up to 10 years by preventing the sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg or by preventing implantation. Paragard is removed by your healthcare professional with forceps by pulling gently on the exposed threads. The arms of Paragard will fold upwards as it is withdrawn from the uterus.
Paragard was marketed as a reversible form of birth control which would allow the user to conceive in the future after it was removed. In July 2019, the FDA stated that the advertising for Paragard created a misleading impression about its safety. The Paragard IUD label was changed in September 2019 to warn that the device could get lodged inside the body and break before or during removal. This warning may have come too late to protect those that have had this IUD for years without knowing about the risk of breakage.
Since 2010, the FDA has received many reports of complications from Paragard IUD removal. Injuries you may have sustained as a result of Paragard IUD removal include:
- IUD breaking upon removal
- IUD expulsion or falling out of the uterus
- IUD migration to other parts of the body
- Ectopic pregnancy
- A part of the IUD becoming embedded in the uterus
- Inflammation or allergic reaction
- Perforation of the uterine wall or cervix
- Scarring and damage to other organs
- Death stemming from any of the above injuries
What Compensation is Recoverable in a Paragard Lawsuit?
If you or a loved one had a Paragard IUD that broke while being removed or prior to removal, then you may be eligible to participate in a lawsuit against Paragard’s manufacturers and sellers. If you hire ASK LLP, then we may seek the following damages for you:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Past and future wage loss
- Past and future loss of earning capacity
- Past and future loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages, if justified
Why You Should Choose ASK LLP
When you get hurt from a medical device, you may not know what to do. After all, the medical device industry is a large and powerful one. We are here to help. Our experienced legal team has a strong track record of fighting—and winning— against big medical device companies. We have already successfully represented clients who were injured by dangerous, defective medical devices. If you hire us, know that we will fight tirelessly to get you the best possible result.
Have you suffered a Paragard IUD injury?
Call ASK LLP today at:
(877) RING ASK / (877-746-4275) for a free case evaluation or fill out the form below.